Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

What is Your New Year's Tradition?

By Michelle:
 
Our new "I AM Mother" mandala.
 
We are less than a week away from New Year’s Eve. It’s a big day for a lot of people. I host a big party with all of my friends and their kids every year. It’s a fun way to bring in the New Year.
While I do enjoy my outward, extroverted fun on New Year’s, I also spend some time every year going inward. I told you last time about my Word of the Year tradition and now today I want to tell you about another tradition I partake in.

When I was attending Integrative Nutrition, Joshua, the head of the school, asked us to write a letter to ourselves at the beginning of our classes. We were to write out our goals for our time in the school, what we hoped to accomplish, who we wanted to become, and what we wanted to release.

On our last weekend of the class we were asked to read them and see how much of it fit our current reality. It was amazing to me, much like the Word of the Year practice, that there were so many things that had evolved over that year. It almost felt like magic.

Years later I still like to do this exercise only now I like to do it as a New Year’s tradition. I start out by looking over my letter from last year. I reflect on what has happened that I hoped for, what didn’t happen, what could have used some improvement and what was a total surprise.
Then I sit down and write a new letter to myself filled with love, inspiration, dreams, goals, and plenty of whimsy. I get in touch with how I want to feel at the end of that next year and who I want to be. When I finish, I fold it up, decorate it with some cute little hearts and tuck it away for another year.

It’s a lovely tradition that is just for me and I would like to share it with you. Feel free to borrow it and let me know how it goes for you.
Do you have any New Year’s traditions you would like to share with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment